Nine Die After Drinking Hand Sanitizer Amid Liquor Lockdown
Nine people have died in India from drinking alcohol-based hand sanitizer after liquor shops in their town were closed due to virus restrictions, police said Friday.
The group lost consciousness after consuming a “high quantity” of hand sanitizer mixed with water or soda, Siddharth Kaushal, police superintendent for Kurichedu town in Andhra Pradesh state told AFP. They were rushed to hospital but declared dead on arrival, he said. The group turned to hand sanitizer “as a substitute” for liquor after supplies were cut off when authorities ordered a lockdown of the town to combat the coronavirus, he added.
An investigation into the nine deaths has been launched, he said. Hundreds of poor people die every year in India due to alcohol poisoning, mostly from consuming cheap hooch. Bootleggers often add methanol — a highly toxic form of alcohol sometimes used as an anti-freeze or fuel — to their home-brew liquor to increase the alcoholic content.